Monday, January 30, 2012

And right into waiting arms!!

The last couple of months have been hard for the local fly fishermen. We had Hurricane Irene that blew out the rivers. Then in October we had a snowstorm that wreaked havoc with trees and power lines. If you think about it, you can appreciate that fully leafed trees and heavy wet snow make for a big mess.  As the trees gave up to the heavy burden of cement like snow they would split apart or fall over and produce a sound similar to cannon fire.

2011 is in the record books as the 2nd. or 3rd. wettest year on record. We had well over 60" of precipitation which has kept runoff from the feeder streams going all year as the ground has had more water than it knows what to do with.

So fishing has been hit or miss. Mostly miss. Too much water is not a good thing.

There have been a couple of times where I was able to get out and practice my two handed casting, but that was about all I could do.

So last week the flow rate actually dropped to something "fishable". That is until Thursday and Friday when we got some more rain, then the flowrate was right back up there.

Undaunted, Lisa and I met at UpCountry on Sat. morning. We had to get out and decided that the best course of action would be to fish right from the bank. Yeah, the water was pretty fast but the sun was out, the clouds were gone and we actually warmed up for a spell. I had decided to use my 8'6" 5wt. Loomis for a change. I was stripping a black wholly bugger when  I landed a beautiful 14" - 16" brown trout right along the edge of the river. Sweet!

Sunday I was out again with my husband. The river had gone down some and we did venture out into it. I used the Loomis again but as we changed spots I decided to take out the ol' Deek Creek (I really love that rod) and as I fished a spot that looked ever-so-fishy I let her rip.

It wasn't too long before I was snagged on a submerged stick that had been cleverly placed there by water gremlins!

Dang. I broke off that fly and attached another. I was casting away when it happened.

Snagged again.

Broke that one off and put on another fly.
Several casts later and still no fish when...

Snagged again.

For the love of Pete!!
Broke that one off and if you have lost count, that was fly #3.

So I tied on another.

I continued making some more casts and getting back into the swing of things - no pun intended- when I made a cast that I truly did admire.
I did a Perry Poke with the anchor placed in the exact spot I wanted. I swung the rod around low to the water and made a beautiful D loop. The left hand pull aka Goran Anderrson -

was the icing on the cake. Yes sir, I admired that cast right up until I realized I had that fly sailing right into the waiting arms of the oak tree across the river. It made several fast wraps around a branch and I had nothing else to say except...

Fly #4 was safely secured in the oak tree.

Fa-shizzle. With that I called it quits and we headed home.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes things can be too perfect. :-) Glad to hear someone got out in January.